Since my husband’s surgery and for a week’s duration, I am his transportation. As such, we went to his dentist appointment today and I had an unintended vacation. Something simple became longer and I, in the luxury of a doctor’s waiting room, with free Columbian coffee in hand and a very good book, bathed in luxurious calm of an unintended vacation, with I must say greater calm than any family (the only kind I achieve) vacation since my children have been born, 14 years hence. So, thank you, Lord, for the vacation to enjoy two of my favorite things- coffee and reading- in a safe, quiet place for a couple precious hours. Perfection. God be praised!!😄❤
Leaving the beach is always a bit sad, but some beautiful family memories were made here. And we had a ball flying kites last night at sunset. Such a beautiful experience. And somehow I was able to maintain my Paleo nutrition lifestyle and for the first time actually lost weight on vacation and did not gain. And kept my energy level up despite my lack of ever being able to sleep well away from home. Always glad to go and always glad to be back home again. ❤
So we took a family vacation to the beach for a few days. I know, driving 1 1/2 hours to the beach is not such a big deal as some people have to travel to get there, but this vacation was special. It marked the first time the kids were old enough to send them out without us so they didn’t have to wait for me to finish making the sandwiches and things thus no guilt. Yay! Also, we are right on the beach with our motel and can see the kids on thr beach just ten yards or so from the balcony so they can test their independence without me losing site of them should a problem arise. It helps that they swim like fish and know self-defense (we have role played many potential problems and what to do and I taught them what my dad taught me). Lol. So, here is the very first beach or any vacation for that matter, where I can vacation too. I can relax. I can even, as I did yesterday, take a walk on thr beach alone and watch the sunset. That was the most beautiful sunset of my life. I thought for a moment about who would love to see that sunset and them let it all go and just basked in the glory of God’s work and paint job. It was truly divine. I was blesses to see His magnificent work and so blessed to be refreshing with family and Him! God is so very good!!❤❤❤
I don’t usually add pictures to my blogs. I use Instagram to share pics and try to segment my life that way so it makes sense to me. But here we are on vacation and I was struck with the level of peace we are experiencing. Recovering from the loss of a few close people to us, we have been quite broken for quite some time. And here we are in St. Augustine and it feels like a healing balm has been placed all over us. God has blessed the vacation. I know I have beloved people praying for us. The effect and answer of tthose prayers is a peace. We have had great fun and experiences and just sheer enjoyment here. Ate at the best Italian restaurant ever (first pic), toured the downtown, went to the beach, played and the park, little things and time spent doing nothing. This has been a healing, enjoyable, blissful vacation and I and feeling more like my happy, strong and meld than I have in a very very long time. Praise God!!
The biggest thing I have learned through many many roadtrips (usually unplanned) is that bathrooms are much more important than anyone ever gives them credit for. Know where they are, for heavens’ sake. Next in importance is so very important. Stop off a bit on the way. Rest, refresh, involve yourself in a new place, understand a new spot, a foreign piece of soil, a new tree, a vivid flower, especially the tiny little wild ones at your feet. There is a peace and tranquility that only occurs in the stops, the breaks, the taking a minute to just be and just be in a new space that you can never match by any other means. Most importantly is the notion that we must breathe to be. We must rest sometimes to continue on and we are richer for it. Do not feel guilty in life either to need a break now and again. It is much more unnatural to force yourself to continue and be poorer for not having enough oxygen to your lungs. Must breathe. Must take in the air to revive and be better at everything else. Addition things to note:
1. Crunchy snacks are invaluable.
2. Drink only what water you have to and as much coffee as you can handle without more frequent bathroom stops.
3. Wear shoes you can slip off.
4. Be sure your car is in tip top shape.
5. Prepare (like with a gallon of water or fix a flat or full spare tire, etc.) in case.
6. Take turns at the bathroom and someone stay with the car. Rest stops can harbor thieves sometimes, better safe than sorry.
7. Determine if you have a destination or are winging it and feel free to swap those as needed. 🙂
8. Never forget where you come from in the excitement of where you are going. Then never forget you went there.
9. Pictures. Take them. Clarity dims with time. Take the shot. Make notes at what you shot.
10. Only take people with you that appreciate and uplift or go alone. If someone starts being negative, even if unexpected things happen, leave them at the closest rest stop with their phone to call a taxi and enough money to get them home. The money is worth parting with. So is the negativity. Warn them first so you don’t feel guilty. lol
11. Even if you have done that trip before, find something new to try, a new place to go, a different route, whatever.
12. Invest in a map of the area. The road less traveled by may be amazing but also may not connect up again to the highway or go in a straight line.